With over three generations of experience in this industry, we know that when your pipes are leaking, it’s a costly fix that only gets worse if ignored. We’ve seen it all too many times—the consequences of a neglected leak can often be severe property damage. Fortunately, there are some warning signs commonly associated with leaky pipes that you can watch out for and hopefully halt any damage before it becomes permanent.
Warning signs of leaky pipes:
- Soggy carpet or warped floors. As water leaks from your pipes and into your home, it has nowhere to go. Soon that water will absorb into your floor, saturating the flooring, cracking tiles, and seeping into expensive carpeting. Don’t wake up to a waterlogged home. Be vigilant and call Feehan Plumbing & Heating when you notice damp or wet areas on your floor.
- Musty or moldy odor. Standing water or a waterlogged floor can make your modern home smell more like an abandoned cabin. The occurrence of those moldy, musty smells in your home should be a dead giveaway that something is up with your pipes.
- Mold growth. We often trace a pipe leak progression from the original site to the floors and into the drywall which soaks the water up like a sponge. If the leak has been allowed to progress this far, it is not uncommon to find mold as a result. Once you have wet drywall, you have a dark, moist environment where mold can thrive. Because it is typically hidden behind your walls, mold can be tough to detect. But, it is something that is very important to be mindful of—mold can cause serious health problems for you and your family.
- Foundation destruction. We typically only find this in ‘worst case scenario’ type jobs. Your foundation, which is comprised of steel supports and concrete, can become seriously compromised. A severe leak left to run its course can eventually cause the foundation to move, rise in different areas of the house, or even completely crack in two.
- Damaged yard and landscaping. If the leak is coming from pipes running under your yard, water can ruin your landscaping or grass. It may even completely flood your yard!
Take these warning signs very seriously. If ignored, pipe leaks can and will cause massive amounts of property damage. So don’t hesitate—call Feehan Plumbing & Heating today!