From Tree Roots to Line Breakages, Clogs Can Occur Anywhere, Anytime
At Feehan Plumbing & Heating, we don’t think it’s enough to just know that your drains are clogged. We want you to know why. Whether it’s a big or a small stoppage, it’s important to understand what causes them.
Top 10 Causes of Drain Clogs
- Tree roots: Believe it or not, these pesky things can get into your line, grow, and completely stop everything from flowing.
- Grease: Grease/fat is found on almost everything you put down your kitchen sink, and while it may seem like it circles the drain without pause, it’s actually one of the worst culprits of clogged drains.
- Inappropriate items put into your garbage disposal: Unfortunately, your garbage disposal can’t handle everything. Certain foods – like stringy vegetables and potato skins – should not be put into the garbage disposal, and if too much of them get in there they can cause a clog.
- Outdoor debris: Things like mud, clay, grass, and leaves can get stuck in your drain line in a number of different ways.
- Unauthorized items being flushed down the toilet: Feminine hygiene products, children’s toys, toothbrushes, and other similar objects should not be flushed down your toilet. If they are, they can cause one heck of a backup.
- Collapsed sewer lines: You’d probably know if this was the problem you were having because it would cause more than one backup in your home. Repairing a broken sewer line usually involves some excavation, but it’s nothing we can’t handle!
- Incorrectly installed or connected piping: Unfortunately, this is nothing you could have expected, and it’s not caused by anything you did. Next time, let a Feehan drain cleaning expert install your plumbing correctly so you can prevent this problem from happening again in the future.
- Sagging sewer lines: This slows down the natural flow of your drain lines and can cause backup troubles.
- Failure to maintain municipal sewer lines: This is, again, nothing you are in control of. Sometimes, the municipal government doesn’t maintain their sewer lines and you pay for it in the form of a sewage backup.
- Line breakages: If this happens, you will notice debris piling up at the site until the problem is addressed.
No matter the cause of your drain clog, Feehan Plumbing & Heating is here to help. Call us today!