EPA: Indoor Air Pollution One of the Biggest Risks to Public Health
Your home is your sanctuary. Sometimes it seems as though nothing from the outside world – like air pollution – can get inside. But, unfortunately, that’s not true. The fact of the matter is that the air inside your home could be just as polluted as the air outside your home. Actually, it’s estimated that the air indoors could be 100 times more polluted than outside. And the worst part is – you may not even know it. The Environmental Protection Agency named indoor air pollution as one of the top five biggest risks to public health. With 90% of the average person’s time being spent indoors, this is a scary truth.
What Causes Indoor Air Pollution?
The cause of outdoor air pollution is obviously not the same as the cause inside, as cars don’t run in the living room and big businesses don’t burn fumes in the basement. But, there are some other products and appliances that can create the same effect:
- Radon and pesticides
- Smoke from tobacco products
- Overuse of household cleaning products
- Fumes from oil or gas combustion in your HVAC equipment
- Deteriorating insulation
- Mold and mildew growth
How to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
Knowing what you know now, surely you want to do everything in your power to improve the quality of air you have in your home. We hope these small home improvement tips will help!
- Whole home ventilation systems: To help you and your family breathe easier, ventilation systems replace polluted indoor air with fresh outdoor air.
- Whole house humidifiers: Proper humidification in the home does two things. It helps you to stay comfortable with consistent humidity levels, and it decreases bacteria levels while soothing allergy-prone respiratory systems.
- Whole house air cleaners: Purifying your air is important, and so is eliminating airborne pollutants before they can spread around your home. That’s why it’s important to get a system that does both!
The time to start improving your indoor air is right now. Call Feehan Plumbing & Heating to get started today!